Position Announcement: Manager of Learning Activities (Discovery Children's Museum)
Position Title: Manager of Learning Experiences
Position Description: The Manager of Learning Experiences is responsible for supporting the operational and educational leadership of the Learning Experiences Team. This position will work alongside the Director of Learning Experiences, and interface with all departments in the Museum. Specific areas of responsibility include: program oversight and management, grant review and reporting, community outreach inclusive of targeted bilingual communities, and staff development. This position will supervise the Volunteer Services and YouthWorks Coordinator, the DISCOVERY on Wheels Outreach Coordinator and Educator, and the Makerspace Educator. The Manager of Learning Experiences reports to the Director of Learning Experiences.
- Provides quality control for grant funded programming, inclusive of targeted bilingual programming •Builds relationships with external education partners •Supports development of Volunteer Services and YouthWorks initiatives •Supports development of DISCOVERY on Wheels Outreach initiatives, inclusive of targeted bilingual communities •Supports development of Makerspace gallery initiatives •Strategize community outreach •Serves on community committees as assigned
- Oversees budgets for Volunteer Services and YouthWorks, DISCOVERY on Wheels Outreach, Makerspace gallery, and grant funded projects •Responsible for payroll duties as assigned
- Delivers a high-quality visitor learning experience by implementing and executing best practices for staff training •Provides direct leadership for the DISCOVERY on Wheels Outreach Coordinator and Educator, the Volunteer Services and YouthWorks Coordinator, and the Makerspace Educator through one-on-one weekly meetings •Develops goals and objectives with metric measurement for direct reports •Responsible for staff development, including hiring, supervision and evaluation of team members as assigned •Coaches Learning Experiences team members and models desired behavior
- Provides fundraising event support •Provides special event support •Serves as Manager on Duty, handling visitor and member concerns •Communicates in a professional manner with various Museum departments on a regular basis to ensure successful outcomes and smooth operations •Serves as the lead of the Learning Experiences Team in the absence of the Director of Learning Experiences.
- Management experience required. •College degree in Education or related discipline required. •Fluency in Spanish is desired. •Strong background in customer service experience is a must. •Excellent demonstrated leadership skills and problem solving skills. •Strong oral and written communication skills, and organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail. •Ability to work in a team oriented environment, and ability to work independently. •Pleasant, outgoing personality. Passion for children and learning. •Must possess demonstrated ability to exercise good judgement. •Must possess demonstrated public speaking skills, and ability to handle fast paced environment with distractions in a friendly and professional manner. •Demonstrated ability to develop programs, train team members, and support event management. •A sincere desire to work with diverse constituents of children and adults of various backgrounds. •Experience managing budgetary responsibilities. •Possess a valid Nevada driver’s license, a good driving record and current personal liability insurance. •Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office applications: Word, Excel, and Outlook. •Physical activities required include and are not limited to visual acuity and hearing, clear communication of the English language, light and heavy lifting (up to 50 lbs), typing, sitting, bending, walking and standing. •Equipment use includes computer software, computers, laser cutters, 3-D printers, telephone, copy/fax machine, AccuCut machine, paper cutter, and other equipment as assigned.
Schedule: This schedule requires weekends, must be able to work during holiday hours and evenings as requested. Schedule changes are subject to change during summer, special events, and community outreach events to accommodate museum operational needs.
Salary: We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience, excellent fringe benefits, a supportive team and professional growth.
Application Process: Apply online at DiscoveryKidsLV.org
DISCOVERY Children’s Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer