The Lost City Museum
721 S. Moapa Valley Blvd. (PO Box 807)
Overton, NV 89040
Hours: Daily 8:30-4:30 (Closed only Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Days)
Admission: $5, members and those under 18 are free
The admissions area/front gallery of the Lost City Museum building was constructed in 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corp as the Boulder Dam Park Museum. It held artifacts from Ancestral Puebloan sites that were being excavated before Lake Mead spread out over the area. In 1953 the National Park Service turned it over to the state of Nevada. In 1979 it became one of 7 museums managed by the state’s Division of Museums and History. Two galleries have been added, one a walled-in excavated pueblo foundation that is now an exhibit. Exhibits tell about the Ancestral Puebloan people, the excavations, and the geological and cultural history of the area. In addition, a local artists are highlighted with month-long solo or group exhibitions in the newest gallery.